Friday 30 October 2009

Pickwick


Pastiche Musical Theatre
Compass Theatre
Thurs 26th - Sat 29th April 2006


After a shaky start, which included a few fluffed lines, the company warmed to the task. I had never seen Pickwick before so was interested to see this presentation of the novel by Dickens, but I have to say it wasn't a patch on Oliver! based on his great book Oliver Twist.

However, there were some good, lively numbers, some of which felt familiar, such as the song, Talk, which put me in mind of the show Half A Sixpence.

There was a touch of Gilbert and Sullivan in some of the songs; British Justice could have been a pantomime song, while The Trouble with Women, would have sat easily in the repertoire of Chas and Dave.

Rick Williams, in the lead role of Pickwick, sounded and looked the part made famous by that lovable Goon tenor, the late Harry Secombe, and I particularly enjoyed his rendition of the idealist's anthem, If I Ruled the World.

The chorus provided a beautiful backing to this number, which the audience loved for it's worthy sentiments and stirring optimism.

Solicitors Dodson and Fogg, played by John Scoates and Alan Holloway, looking like a cross between Uriah Heap and Albert Steptoe, were good character studies and very funny.

However, for me the real stars of the show were the most amazing array of costumes I have ever seen adorning an amateur company. In fact I was ure they must have been hired before I read in the programme they had been created by the 'two Jeans'.

As well as their roles as director and musical director, Jean Hobson and Jean George somehow found time to design, stitch and fit an excellent kaleidoscope of Dickensian outfits for the show. The clothes, from smart wing collars to pretty peticoats, danced, strutted and strode across the stage with a life of their own, and for me, really made the production. I was mesmerised.

This company must be commended for raising £28,000 for charity since its first show in 1997. This year 'Tearfund', a Christian charity, benefitted.

Barbara Fisher

No comments:

Post a Comment